casaConsulate at Home (Post Mail)


  • It is not possible to register a divorce through the Consulate.


  • The applicant should secure the services of an attorney of his/her trust (or through the Ordem dos Advogados - Portuguese Bar) in Portugal so that he/she may request the divorce to be decreed by the competent court of law.


Required documents:

  • Original divorce decree;
  • Translation of the divorce decree done by a notary public registered with the Consulate (check list here) OR by any other notary public as long as it is then authenticated with an Apostille of the Secretary of State of the State of residence.
  • Send all documents for the divorce to the chosen attorney in Portugal.