Request for a Portuguese Tax/Fiscal Number (número de contribuinte/número de identificação fiscal)


  • The Consulate does not issue Portuguese tax/fiscal numbers. 


  • You can only request a tax/fiscal number in Portugal by contacting the Tax and Customs Authority. Their contacts are available on their webpage: www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt


IMPORTANT: If you already have a Portuguese tax number and you requested a new ID Card with a US address, you will receive a letter by the Portuguese tax authorities to select a representative with a Portuguese address for any tax affairs you might have at that point or in the future. This is standard procedure and does not entail any additional liabilities or responsibilities.

This will entail contacting the Portuguese tax authorities and proving you have selected a representative (e.g. through power of attorney). Further questions should be directed at those authorities.